Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Email....

I received this email a couple days ago.... 

Doug,
My name is Steven Schultheis, I work for Youth for Christ Ministries of Sacramento.  While at Youth Specialties' National Youth Worker's Convention in Sacramento, I passed by y'all's booth in the exhibit hall and was given the Contrary Motion CD.

Let me sidestep that storyline and introduce another.  My role with Youth for Christ involves media (video, web and print design).  A couple days before the Convention, one of our staff approached me to create a video project for his fundraiser dinner.  By choice, we almost exclusively use stock music (such as Music Bakery or Digital Juice or Quicktracks) as background music.  It's a lot cleaner than having to find out copyright owner and ask permission.  It's also often easier to find music that fits the length I need, with enough space to put interviews without the interviews and song lyrics stepping on each other.

Long story shorter, the song 'Identity' sung by Drew Eales and Kym France grabbed my attention.  As I listen to the lyrics, I hear that it's talking about ultimately finding our identity, our belonging, our purpose, in God.  As I listen to the rest of the song, I start seeing the video project in my head.  There are places for teen interviews and places for shots of what happens around the teen center.  The song itself is 'mild' enough for the donor base who will be at the dinner yet 'hard and fast' enough that it also represents the teens in it.

And so I ask for y'all's permission to use the song in our video project.  The video will be one part of a fundraiser dinner for Youth for Christ, a non-profit organization, to help raise awareness of and money for one of our community Teen Centers.  It will not be sold or distributed.  I will key the song title, artists and CD name in the corner of the screen during the middle of the video.

Thank you for considering my request and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Steven Schultheis

Needless to say Drew and I both agreed...I emailed Steven and thanked him first of all secondly I asked him to send us copies of the finished project!!! I will try to put it on my computer and post it up! We (Drew and I) are beyond blessed by this and are truly blown away that they chose our song to use...We give all glory and honor to God...this song would not exist with out Him putting the words and idea's in our hearts, mouths, and hands! 

5 comments:

Carma said...

YEAH!!!! I am so happy for you guys. I LOVE THAT SONG TOO!!! One step closer to needing that roadie. My bags are packed, just let me know when we start touring!! Hehe.

Kelly said...

VERY cool, Kym! Congrats. :)

Kym said...

Thank you so much the both of you...its really not that big of a deal but it's an amazing honor :) I love you both!

Unknown said...

Kym

Congratulations sweetie; mom and I are so proud of you and Drew. From the very first time I hear that song it was my favorite on the entire CD. It is so awesome to see God using your talent. I pray this gives you hope and motivation to follow your dream....God does have a plan for you and your music...RUN WITH IT GIRL!!! Love ya. Dad

Unknown said...

Hey Baby Girl.....We sure do Love ya!
And we are sooooooo Happy for you and Drew...Miss ya, Sweetie!!!

Love ya,
Mom